Thursday, June 12, 2008

Dewey Cox Rocks


I've watched Walk Hard: The Dewey Cox Story twice now and I almost pissed my pants on several occasions and any poorly timed sips from my soda could've resulted in spitting it all over the place. Writer/Director Jake Kasdan and Co-writer Judd Apatow make a very smart choice in the tone of the film. The action is played deadpan, but it's funny as hell. Molded after such biopics as Ray, Walk the Line, The Doors and even Don't Look Back(instant street cred), Kasdan and Apatow also take little bits and pieces from real life rock star and incorporate it into the script. The fun is trying to spot them all- good luck there's a ton. They also made the right choice in casting John C Reilly, though I biased because I've been a fan of his for a long time (and his last name is pretty fucking cool too!). Jenna Fischer is terrific as well and there is a great supporting cast behind them and one of the coolest, and out of left field cameos I've ever seen- and the performance is funny as shit. See if you can spot it- it's not obvious. The cinematography is outstanding, which was another inspired choice on the filmmakers part because most comedies don't go out of their way to create Academy Award winning photography. Definitely check this out.
***Note- Make sure you watch through the credits.

No comments: